Each week athletes have up to 8 coached sessions available. A further 3 structured sessions are provided online via MySquadPortal (see below).
The training schedule is carefully designed across the year and divided into 4-week blocks.
4-Week Blocks: Using a 4-week structure helps control consistency and progression and breaks the season down into smaller chunks. Throughout the winter and spring, intensity and ‘training focus’ vary from week to week in each block. Throughout the summer, a more flexible and individual structure is employed to ensure all athletes prepare optimally for races. Recovery weeks and squad breaks are also positioned to allow athletes the rest needed to soak up training stimulus.
Weekly Schedule: Training sessions each week include a combination of swim, bike, run, brick (bike-run combinations) and strength & conditioning (S&C).
Example Training Week
Conveniently located in and around central Edinburgh, the Squad trains at the following venues:
- Royal Commonwealth Pool – a world-class facility with dedicated 25m lane space for squad sessions and an Olympic standard 50m pool for additional training.
- The Crags Centre – a great community sports centre with a studio ideal for those tough turbo sessions. Indoor bike trainers are available for squad use.
- Meadows / Arthur’s Seat / Calton Hill – a variety of outdoor locations depending on the requirements of the run session. Intervals on the flat and fast meadows, hill reps on the iconic Arthur’s Seat or laps of the 800m Calton Hill circuit with stunning views of Edinburgh.
MySquadPortal is an online scheduling platform developed exclusively for the squad. It provides an easy to view plan of upcoming training including details for each individual session. It also features a convenient method of confirming attendance and providing feedback to the coaches.
- Up to 8 coached sessions and 3 online sessions per week – see ‘Training’ for more information.
- Regular programme of mentoring and 121 sessions providing an individualised approach for each athlete.
- Technique video analysis sessions
- WKO training metrics analysis (requires free basic TrainingPeaks account)
- Online guides to training
- Sports psychology and education sessions
- Free ET tri-suit
- Online group and individual training plans via MySquadPortal
- Discounted massage and nutritional profiling
- Sponsor benefits, for example generous product support from Clif Bar
- Squad socials and annual awards evening
- Access to all additional ET training sessions and membership benefits
Squad members are required to be gold members of ET and pay an additional monthly fee. However, this represents the best value triathlon training currently available with all of the above included in the cost.
Access to ‘full’ coaching is also available at an additional cost with limited places available.
Is it for me?
The short answer is…yes! Irrespective of your current level, being part of the Squad will undoubtedly help you reach your triathlon goals. This is especially true if you are:
- Positive – enthusiastic about the opportunities available
- Committed – to training, our team-mates and long-term personal development
- Questioning – willing to try new things to get results
- Willing to Engage – with a dynamic coach and an annual training process
- Excited – about what you can achieve as part of this successful squad
The current squad is made up of friendly, like-minded individuals who train together and support each other to achieve their goals. We come from a variety of sporting backgrounds but we all have a desire to succeed in triathlon – whether it is qualifying for the GB age group team, completing an Ironman or winning the World Championships!
It doesn’t matter if you’ve been doing triathlon for one year or ten…everyone is welcome.